Teaching internship at NYGH.
Hey guys, so sorry for the lack of updates! Lately I've been busy with an internship in NYGH, and so far it has been a very fulfilling experience (this week is my third week). Embarked on it with an open mind, and I was so fortunate to be able to get my alpha mater as my allocated school. And it didn't disappoint. Everyday in school I find myself learning new things - new teaching methods, new strategies on classroom management and engagement, interesting activities to carry out, and so on. Furthermore, I am so absolutely glad that I find myself enjoying the experience as a whole. It has a good balance between sitting in an office and going out to interact with students, and this alone has made me more determined to go into the teaching industry, no matter how many others may abhor the very idea of going into education at all.
The firsthand experience of planning and teaching a lesson in class allowed me to discover my own strengths as well as weaknesses in terms of conducting a class. With my wonderful and experienced teacher mentors observing the way I carry out my lessons, they provide me with such excellent feedback and I can really feel myself improving each subsequent day.
The idea of the internship is really to give interns a platform to experience the full scope of being a teacher, which includes all the behind-the-scenes work, and so the fellow interns and I have been assigned various admin tasks to handle. Surprisingly enough, it was not something which I minded doing; sure the tasks were tedious, but with each task's completion comes a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I've also been assigned to a CCA which I'm not familiar with at all - Girl Guides. Coming from a performing arts CCA it was really intriguing to find out what the girls were doing during CCA, and all their activities were truly enriching in terms of basic life skills.
I definitely do not regret joining this internship programme at all as it certainly has brought many new experiences and learning opportunities that I've never had before. Being a student versus a working individual has their numerous differences, and I'm glad to say that I am enjoying the latter very much.
On a side note, I think I just failed one of my New Years resolutions on practicing regularly because I have not been doing so at all... Gonna start building up my repertoire again soon I hope I will stop being so demotivated all the time. Especially since I'm trying to get into a music course.
Teaching internship at NYGH.
Hey guys, so sorry for the lack of updates! Lately I've been busy with an internship in NYGH, and so far it has been a very fulfilling experience (this week is my third week). Embarked on it with an open mind, and I was so fortunate to be able to get my alpha mater as my allocated school. And it didn't disappoint. Everyday in school I find myself learning new things - new teaching methods, new strategies on classroom management and engagement, interesting activities to carry out, and so on. Furthermore, I am so absolutely glad that I find myself enjoying the experience as a whole. It has a good balance between sitting in an office and going out to interact with students, and this alone has made me more determined to go into the teaching industry, no matter how many others may abhor the very idea of going into education at all.
The firsthand experience of planning and teaching a lesson in class allowed me to discover my own strengths as well as weaknesses in terms of conducting a class. With my wonderful and experienced teacher mentors observing the way I carry out my lessons, they provide me with such excellent feedback and I can really feel myself improving each subsequent day.
The idea of the internship is really to give interns a platform to experience the full scope of being a teacher, which includes all the behind-the-scenes work, and so the fellow interns and I have been assigned various admin tasks to handle. Surprisingly enough, it was not something which I minded doing; sure the tasks were tedious, but with each task's completion comes a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I've also been assigned to a CCA which I'm not familiar with at all - Girl Guides. Coming from a performing arts CCA it was really intriguing to find out what the girls were doing during CCA, and all their activities were truly enriching in terms of basic life skills.
I definitely do not regret joining this internship programme at all as it certainly has brought many new experiences and learning opportunities that I've never had before. Being a student versus a working individual has their numerous differences, and I'm glad to say that I am enjoying the latter very much.
On a side note, I think I just failed one of my New Years resolutions on practicing regularly because I have not been doing so at all... Gonna start building up my repertoire again soon I hope I will stop being so demotivated all the time. Especially since I'm trying to get into a music course.